Working Holiday (Subclass) 417 visa - (Temporary)

The working holiday visa is a 12 month visa that can only be applied for from outside Australia, you must be between the ages of 18-30, be single or married with no children and have a passport from the list of countries that have a reciprocal working holiday arrangement with Australia :

Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland. Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, United Kingdom.

If you hold an American passport or a passport from another country not on this list you can apply for a Work and Holiday visa.

The other criteria for a Working Holiday visa are:

  • Your main reason for travel to Australia is for a holiday and any work that you do in Australia is only temporary just to help fund your holiday. You must also be able to show that you have a good chance of finding temporary employment to support yourself while on holiday in Australia.
  • You must have a return ticket or sufficient money for a return ticket and a genuine intention to return to your home country at the end of your visa.

Working Holiday Extension

If during your first 12 month visa you have completed at least 3 months of seasonal work in specific regional parts of Australia, you can then apply for an extension for an additional year (12 months) on your working holiday visa.

Approved industries for specified work include:

  • plant and animal cultivation
  • fishing and pearling
  • tree farming and felling
  • mining
  • construction.

Examples of eligible specified work:

  • picking fruits on an orchard
  • feeding and herding cattle on a farm
  • horse breeding and stud farming
  • landscaping the grounds of a construction/house site
  • painting the interior/exterior of new buildings
  • conservation and environmental reforestation work
  • zoo work involving plant or animal cultivation
  • erecting fences on a construction site  
  • scaffolding.

Visa Conditions:

  • Maximum 12 months stay in Australia with multiple entry and exits.
  • Maximum of four (4) months study during your holiday.
  • *Maximum of six (6) months with any one (1) employer *(depending on your occupation (Au pairs & others) and in exceptional circumstances you may be to apply for a waiver of the 6 month employer restriction.

Work and Holiday (Subclass) 462 visa - (Temporary)

This visa is for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year.

The criteria for this visa are very similar to the 417 visa except for the eligible countries and no extension possible and annual limits on the amount of visas issued. You need to be at least 18 up to 30 years of age and you must not have any dependent child with you at any time during your stay in Australia.

You are also restricted to working for the one employer for a maximum period of 6 months, however, depending on your occupation (Au pairs & others) and in exceptional circumstances you may be to apply for a waiver of the 6 month employer restriction. You can also study for up to four months.

The countries eligible for this visa are:

Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, China (People's Republic of), Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, USA, Uruguay and Vietnam.

You can apply for a second Work and Holiday visa if you have worked for three months in northern Australia in tourism and hospitality or agriculture, forestry and fishing.

Contact us for more information or for an initial assessment.